- Gödel, Escher, Bach (Hofstadter)
- Stories of Your Life and Others (Chiang)
- Exhalation (Chiang)
- Red Mars (Robinson)
- Song of the Lioness series (Pierce): my favorite YA series by my favorite YA author
- Water, Wood, and Wild Things: Learning Craft and Cultivation in a Japanese Mountain Town (Kirshner)
- The Double Helix (Watson)
- Terraforming Mars (the simplified Ares Expedition version fixes many issues with the original)
- The Crew
- Ricochet Robots
- The Chameleon
- The Search for Planet X
- Monument Valley
- The Witness
Dark: Excellently acted, written, produced, and scored, Dark was the best thing I saw in 2021. Go in blind, keep a sketchpad handy, and watch in the original German with subs - NOT the dub. Pro-tip that I wish I’d discovered before the end: the official Netflix site lets you look up info spoiler-free by telling it the latest episode you’ve seen.
Black Mirror: Anthology series about how technology will bring out the worst of human nature. It’s an anthology, so quality varies: the first three seasons were the best (quality has tanked since Netflix took over), but there are still a few gems in the later seasons.
- The Entire History of You
- USS Callister
- San Junipero
Fleabag: Biting, witty, and intimate.
Battlestar Galactica: The reboot, not the original. Mid-aughts classic that I’ve rewatched many times, and love deeply.